High School and Middle School Virtual Admissions Workshop
Members can attend this event for free.
Already a member? Log in now to register.
Are you about to embark on the NYC school admissions process for middle or high school? This virtual workshop is designed just for you!
The purpose of this presentation is to help families understand the complexity of New York City schools and hit the ground running when they begin their applications. Parents League Advisor, Evie Gurney will cover the admissions process for middle and high schools. The emphasis will be on the independent schools, but will touch on public options.
- School selection: private day, boarding parochial and public
- Getting started: what to do in the winter/spring prior to the fall
- Applying: spring open houses, online research
- Timelines: Review basic timelines for the different types of schools
- Strategies: Staying organized
- Application components: applications, grades, testing, recommendations, and transcripts
- General recommendations: keeping your fall schedule open, try to enjoy the process
Evie Gurney advises families applying to middle school and high school. She is not only very knowledgeable about independent and private middle schools and high schools, but she also has a deep understanding of the public, parochial and boarding school landscape and their admissions processes. Prior to joining the Parents League, Evie was Director of High School Placement at Bank Street School for Children, where she placed approximately 40 eighth grade students per year at independent day and boarding schools, and public and parochial schools. Before switching to a career in education, Evie worked in advertising and was a book buyer at the American Folk Art Museum. She earned a B.A. from Yale University where she majored in English.