Recent research and academic writing have focused on this mind-body connection and the impact it can have on children’s brains and their ability to absorb new learning. Teaching mindfulness is a specific approach coming out of this research that integrates well with Montessori’s teachings of over a century ago.
Benefits of Family Membership
School Advisory Services
- Unlimited one-on-one appointments with a Parents League School Advisor to discuss kindergarten, lower, middle, upper, boarding & special needs admission
- Preschool Admission Workshop with unlimited preschool admissions phone consultations
- Continued support from Parents League School Advisors throughout the admissions process
Parents League School Advisors have over 125 years of combined experience as administrators, admission directors, teachers and board members at schools. We have a unique and close working relationship with over 300 independent day and boarding schools, enabling us to provide families with up to date information about schools and admissions policies.
Member Benefit Programs
Each year Parents League provides our members with presentations from top experts in the fields of parenting and education.
Past speakers include:
- Frank Bruni, acclaimed New York Times journalist and author of Where You Go Is Not Who You’ll Be
- Jessica Lahey, author of The Gift of Failure
- Ellen Birnbaum, Director, 92nd Street Y Nursery School
- William V.N. Philip, Headmaster, Westminster School
Past topics include:
- Kindergarten Child Interview
- Instilling a Love of Reading
- Digital Citizenship
- Review: our annual journal on parenting & education
- Guide to New York City Preschools: the only annually updated New York City preschool guide with nearly 300 listings
- Let’s Play: a comprehensive directory featuring activities for infants, toddlers & preschoolers
- Online School Directory: Listing over 300 independent & private schools with information about enrollment, tuition, ages and more
- Blog: exclusive articles and videos on parenting and education available to current members
- Camp advice and information: summer camp advisor available to speak with members about camps and summer programs
- Parents League Tutoring File: a regularly updated file of tutors organized by subject
- Our bulletin board: postings from nannies and caregivers and parents as well as school announcements and activities for children
If you are applying for financial aid at independent schools, click here to apply for a discounted membership.
In the NYC public school system, pre-kindergarten is available for all 4-year-olds. All New York City families with children born in 2015 are eligible to participate in Pre-K for All for the 2019-2020 school year.