In “Thirteen Ways of Looking At A Blackbird,” poet Wallace Stevens takes something familiar—an ordinary blackbird—and by looking at it from many different perspectives, makes us think about it in new ways.
Benefits of Family Membership
School Advisory Services
- Unlimited one-on-one appointments with a Parents League School Advisor to discuss kindergarten, lower, middle, upper, boarding & special needs admission
- Preschool Admission Workshop with unlimited preschool admissions phone consultations
- Continued support from Parents League School Advisors throughout the admissions process
Parents League School Advisors have over 125 years of combined experience as administrators, admission directors, teachers and board members at schools. We have a unique and close working relationship with over 300 independent day and boarding schools, enabling us to provide families with up to date information about schools and admissions policies.
Member Benefit Programs
Each year Parents League provides our members with presentations from top experts in the fields of parenting and education.
Past speakers include:
- Frank Bruni, acclaimed New York Times journalist and author of Where You Go Is Not Who You’ll Be
- Jessica Lahey, author of The Gift of Failure
- Ellen Birnbaum, Director, 92nd Street Y Nursery School
- William V.N. Philip, Headmaster, Westminster School
Past topics include:
- Kindergarten Child Interview
- Instilling a Love of Reading
- Digital Citizenship
- Review: our annual journal on parenting & education
- Guide to New York City Preschools: the only annually updated New York City preschool guide with nearly 300 listings
- Let’s Play: a comprehensive directory featuring activities for infants, toddlers & preschoolers
- Online School Directory: Listing over 300 independent & private schools with information about enrollment, tuition, ages and more
- Blog: exclusive articles and videos on parenting and education available to current members
- Camp advice and information: summer camp advisor available to speak with members about camps and summer programs
- Parents League Tutoring File: a regularly updated file of tutors organized by subject
- Our bulletin board: postings from nannies and caregivers and parents as well as school announcements and activities for children
If you are applying for financial aid at independent schools, click here to apply for a discounted membership.
There is much talk in the education arena about disruptive innovation. Due to technology, examples of disruption to the status quo abound in the world around us. Just look at what has happened in the music industry when streaming made records and CDs obsolete, in higher education with the advent of MOOCs, in the movie industry with Netflix. Other disruptions also come to mind: Uber, with its challenge to taxi services, Airbnb, with its threat to traditional hotels and travel agents. The list could go on endlessly, as it continues to change seemingly daily.