I’ve been in practice for 35 years. In the old days, most parents of lower school boys came to see me at the recommendation of the school. The student was behind in reading and writing, or restless, devilish, or puzzlingly out-of-sorts. Today, most parents of young boys are self-referred. The most common presenting problem? Their sons’ worrisome worries. These anguished parents use such similar phrases that I feel like I’m listening to actors reading sides for a casting agent.
Benefits of Family Membership
School Advisory Service
- Unlimited one-on-one appointments with a Parents League School Advisor to discuss kindergarten, lower, middle, upper, boarding & special needs admission
- Preschool Admission Workshop with unlimited preschool admissions phone consultations
- Continued support from Parents League School Advisors throughout the admissions process
Parents League School Advisors have over 125 years of combined experience as administrators, admission directors, teachers and board members at schools. We have a unique and close working relationship with over 300 independent day and boarding schools, enabling us to provide families with up to date information about schools and admissions policies.
Each year Parents League provides our members with presentations from top experts in the fields of parenting and education.
Past speakers include:
- Frank Bruni, acclaimed New York Times journalist and author of Where You Go Is Not Who You’ll Be
- Jessica Lahey, author of The Gift of Failure
- Ellen Birnbaum, Director, 92nd Street Y Nursery School
- William V.N. Philip, Headmaster, Westminster School
Past topics include:
- Kindergarten Child Interview
- Instilling a Love of Reading
- Digital Citizenship
- Review: our annual journal on parenting & education
- Guide to New York City Preschools: the only annually updated New York City preschool guide with nearly 300 listings
- Let’s Play: a comprehensive directory featuring activities for infants, toddlers & preschoolers
- Online School Directory: Listing over 300 independent & private schools with information about enrollment, tuition, ages and more
- Blog: exclusive articles and videos on parenting and education available to current members
- Camp advice and information: summer camp advisor available to speak with members about camps and summer programs
- Parents League Tutoring File: a regularly updated file of tutors organized by subject
- Our bulletin board: postings from nannies and caregivers and parents as well as school announcements and activities for children
In this modern age of distraction, many parents and teachers are concerned about the short and long term effects of electronic over-usage combined with academic, family, peer and extra-curricular stress. Based on his book, CrazyBusy, Dr.